|This unique series made its debut in 1961 to coincide with the original theatrical release of 101 DALMATIANS. The 101 Dalmatians Series packages are copyrighted 1959. The series was marketed primarily in the English/West German market. They were not widely sold in the U.S. The total number of figures in the series is either 48 or 49 due to the many variations of the puppies. Following is a list based on actual figures and two published Marx lists.
- Cruella De Vil
- The Maid
- The Preacher
- Pongo - sitting up (from the Wedding Scene)
- Perdita - sitting up (from the Wedding Scene)
- Sargeant Tibbs
- Pongo - lying down
- Perdita - lying down
- Pongo - fighting* and base (unpainted)
*Note: The third Pongo figure of a "fighting Pongo" and large snap-on base appeared in the States in the late '80s from a West German warehouse find. They were part of an eight piece set of the human figures from 101 Dalmatians in unpainted white hard plastic. The figure set's legitimacy as truly vintage items has since been debated. However, considering the fact that the 1961-era figure of Horace can't stand on its own, and has a hole in the bottom of one foot, and, when snapped in position with the fighting Pongo on the large stand the two form a complete pre-planned action scene, this author values the entire unpainted set as authentic vintage Marx.
- Lucky Pup
Box Formats for Individual Figures:
- Yellow Boxes labeled Walt Disney's 101 DALMATIANS. Many of the individually boxed puppies came with a small flat, such as a puppy bed, a bowl of food, a ball, a yo yo, a small plastic shoe, a book, a slipper, etc. These items are also collected.
- Yellow Boxes labeled Walt Disney's PONGO UND PERDITA in German for the West German market. Many of these individual boxes also came with small flats, such as a puppy bed, a bowl of food, a ball, a yo yo, a small plastic shoe, a book, a slipper, etc. These items are also collected.
101 DALMATIANS Series TV Scenes (Yellow Wood Grain 3"x3" boxes total of 12):
Series consists of twelve TV-Shaped window scene boxes with the Colonel, Sgt. Tibbs and puppies only. Each set has 2-5 figures and unique background and flats, all reflecting scenes from the film. In addition, they came in two sizes, a standard size TV-scene box and a larger one with more figures.
101 DALMATIANS Series Playset Scenes (Blue and white boxes total of 6):
The Playset Series consists of six highly-detailed window scene boxes illustrating the 101 Dalmatians story. Each playset has 6-10 figures with unique background and flats, all reflecting key scenes from the film. In addition, they came in two sizes, a standard size playset box and a larger one with more figures. Many of the main figures were only sold in playsets. These Playsets are perhaps the finest example of the "playset" packaging format.
Note: Contents listings are from the larger-size playsets. The smaller size package has a few less figures or flats in each.
- The Wedding Scene - includes (from l. to r.) Perdita sitting up, Pongo sitting up, Roger, Anita, the Preacher and the Maid. Flats include (from l. to r.) a piano, a christmas tree, a potted plant and some presents.
- Hell Hall Scene- includes Horace, Jasper, Cruella de Vil, and seven puppies. Flats include (from l. to r.) a red watering can, a standing lamp and a large television set which the puppies are watching.
- Barn Scene #1 - includes Pongo and Perdita (both lying down), Colonel, Sgt. Tibbs and seven puppies Flats include (from l. to r.) a wooden post,?a large wodden box (on which Perdita and four puppies are glued), a barrel and a red watering can.
- Barn Scene #2 with Cows- includes eight puppies with Lucky Pup in the center.. Flats include (from l. to r.) three large cows in their stalls, a barrel, a red teapot, a silver chalice, a red stool and a hoe.
- The Journey Home Scene - includes nine puppies and Pongo (lying down). Flats include (from l. to r.) a lampost, a fence, Hell Hall in the distance, a rock formation, a red gate, and a red truck.
- The Reunion at Home - includes Perdita ( lying down), the Maid, and six puppies. Flats include (from l. to r.) a large wooden staircase (which has two pups glued on), presents, a blue book. the maid's purse, a lamp, a wooden crate and a large old-fashioned radio.
101 DALMATIANS Series Store Displays (or Display Boxes):
- Playsets Store Display (all six playsets in a colorful yellow cardboard mount)
- TV-Scenes Store Display (all 12 TV-Scenes in a colorful cardboard holder)
Gift Boxes and Larger Packaging:
- The 101 DALMATIANS PLANTATION Set - a colorful gift box with eight main animal figures from the film. Includes Pongo, Perdita, Colonel, Sergeant Tibbs, Lucky Pup, Sleepy, Hungry, and Patch.
- The 101 DALMATIANS KENNEL BOX Set - a colorful gift box with eight main animal figures from the film. Includes Pongo, Perdita, Lucky Pup and five other puppies.
Text copyright 2001 by Abby Weissman & the Flubber Gallery, All rights reserved. Cannot be reproduced without permission.